Open Educational Resources Committee Charge
This site is maintained by the Utah Academic Library Consortium’s (UALC) Open Educational Resources (OER) Committee, which consists of membership from ten of Utah’s colleges and universities. The committee is charged with providing guidance about OER to UALC directors and libraries and with coordinating statewide OER initiatives in higher education.
The OER Committee will accomplish this charge by:
- Coordinating OER efforts within the consortium
- Providing or informing UALC directors about opportunities to use a range of course material solutions at individual schools:
- Utilizing library-licensed resources to produce course packs (print or electronic) or reserve materials
- Navigating the U.S. copyright system
- Incorporating open educational resources into library collections
- Undertaking research on successful statewide OER initiatives in higher education that can serve as a model for UALC and Utah. Representing UALC in the Open Textbook Network (OTN)
- Presenting regular updates to the UALC Directors Council
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinate statewide events such as OER week, a Utah OER website, and other relevant activities
- Be advocates for and proponents of OER through statewide efforts, including a willingness to provide workshops or other educational opportunities to librarians, faculty, and students
- Coordinate training opportunities in conjunction with the Professional Development and Public Relations committees for librarians, faculty and students at institutions, including an annual summary of the “state of OER” in Utah.